L3Harris will be included in the 2023 Bloomberg Gender Equality Index (GEI), a modified capitalization-weighted index that tracks the performance of public companies committed to disclosing their efforts to support gender equality through policy development, representation and transparency. The Bloomberg GEI measures gender equality across five pillars: leadership and talent pipeline, equal pay and gender pay parity, inclusive culture, anti-sexual harassment policies and external brand. Companies included in the 2023 GEI have provided a comprehensive look at their investment in workplace gender equality and the communities in which they operate.
L3Harris scored at or above a global threshold established by Bloomberg to reflect disclosure and the achievement or adoption of best-in-class statistics and policies. As stated in our upcoming 2022 Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Annual Report, 25% of our employees, 36% of our executives, 37% of our new college graduates and 29% of our Board of Directors are women. While we continue to make progress towards gender equity, we know there is more work to do.
According to research by our strategic partner Catalyst, a gender gap in STEM persists around the globe, despite positive changes. Although women account for around half of the employed workforce, women in the U.S. and Canada make up only a third of those employed in STEM occupations. In Europe, women are slowly closing the gender gap in science and engineering, making up about 40% of scientists and engineers.
“Gender equality in the workplace leads to stronger innovation, stronger collaboration and stronger results. It’s our responsibility to ensure we continue prioritizing diverse, inclusive and respectful environments where women aspire to join our company, stay and contribute to our mission. It is critical that we embody the ways of the trusted disrupter to demonstrate our commitment to gender equality,” said Kirsten Wilkers, Vice President of Talent & Inclusion.
In the past year, L3Harris has furthered gender equality at work and in the community. Some of the actions include:
- On-site resources, including designated maternity parking spaces close to building entrances and seclusion rooms to provide private space for nursing moms, are available to assist during pregnancy and returning to the office postpartum.
- Tuition assistance is provided for degree programs or credit-bearing certificates in support of continued education.
- Paid parental leave covering 100% of base pay can be taken in one week increments within the first 12 months of a birth or adoption.
- Our talent acquisition teams participate in targeted recruiting events to further women’s representation in STEM and at L3Harris. Some of the largest career fairs L3Harris participated in last year include the Society of Women Engineers (SWE) and Grace Hopper Celebration.
- The Women Who Strive for Empowering, Enhancing & Encouraging Other Women (WE3) employee resource group (ERG) continues to grow and support women across L3Harris by providing opportunities to support women’s development throughout their career.
- Every segment reviews their diversity representation goals, metrics and progress with HR and segment leadership on a regular basis to determine what actions are working and additional areas of opportunity.
- The 2022 Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Annual Report with updated diversity representation metrics will be released in February.
See the full list of companies included on the Bloomberg Gender Equality Index here: GEI Member list.